Lemonade Slushies with Mint and Lemon Verbena
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Michael Solomonov was born in Ganei Yehuda, Israel, where this frothy lemon nana, flavored with mint and lemon verbena, is a popular cooler. You don't have to serve it as a slushie; just froth the herb-infused lemonade in the blender before pouring it over ice.
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup dried lemon verbena leaves
- Zest of 2 lemons, cut into 3-inch-long strips, plus 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 2 cups ice
- In a small saucepan, combine the water with the sugar and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the dried lemon verbena leaves and the strips of lemon zest and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and mint and let stand at room temperature until cool. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 20 minutes.
- Strain the lemon mixture into a blender along with the ice. Blend on high speed until smooth and frothy. Pour into tall glasses and serve right away.