- TOTAL TIME: 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 1 1/4 cups
“Oil and lemon juice separate, so when you add them to a salad, some leaves have mostly lemon, and the others, mostly oil,” says chef Jesse Schenker of Recette in New York City. He relies on xanthan gum for perfectly emulsified vinaigrettes that coat evenly.
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 gram (1/4 teaspoon) xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground white pepper
- In a blender, mix the fresh lemon juice and cold water at low speed. With the blender on, add the xanthan gum and blend until the liquid is slightly thickened, about 15 seconds. Increase the blender speed to medium and slowly add the grapeseed oil, and then the extra-virgin olive oil, in a thin stream and blend until creamy. Season with salt and white pepper.
The vinaigrette can be refrigerated overnight; shake before using.Serve With
Lettuce or vegetable salads, such as a shaved fennel salad with seared octopus or poached shrimp.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.