Lemon Pudding Cakes with Apricot Sauce
- SERVINGS: 8
The unusual thing about these lemony cakes is that while they are baking, the batter splits, creating a creamy, puddinglike top and soufflé-like bottom.
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- One 8 1/2-ounce jar apricot halves in syrup, drained
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Lightly spray eight 6-ounce ramekins with vegetable cooking spray and arrange them in a small roasting pan.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk with the lemon zest and bring just to a simmer. Strain the milk through a sieve into a medium bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with 6 tablespoons of the sugar at moderately high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. At medium speed, beat in the egg yolks, 1 at a time, until incorporated. Using a spoon, stir in the flour, lemon juice and infused milk until combined.
- In a large bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until the egg whites are firm and glossy. Working in batches, gently fold the meringue into the batter just until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until small cracks appear on top of each cake. Using tongs, transfer the ramekins to a rack to cool.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the apricots with the preserves, water, lemon juice and salt until smooth.
- Run a blunt knife around each cake and invert onto a dessert plate. Spoon the apricot sauce around the cakes and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.