- 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan and dust with the bread crumbs; tap out any excess crumbs. In a medium bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour and cake flour with the baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter with the granulated sugar at medium-high speed until it is pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well between additions. At low speed, in 2 alternating batches, beat in the dry ingredients and the milk. With a rubber spatula, fold in the lemon zest, lemon extract and poppy seeds.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Carefully invert the cake onto a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. Transfer the cake to a serving plate.
- In a medium bowl, stir the confectioners' sugar with the lemon juice to make a runny glaze. Using a spatula, spread the glaze over the cake, letting it run down the sides. Cut into wedges and serve.
The cake can be stored in an airtight container for 2 days.