© Kamran Siddiqi
Lemon-Poppy Seed Buttermilk Pancakes
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 15 three-inch pancakes
One editor said these light but chewy pancakes should be called “awesomecakes (that just happen to be gluten-free).” The poppy seeds add an appealing crunch.
Slideshows: More Delicious Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for the griddle
- Warm pure maple syrup, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the eggs, vanilla, zest, lemon juice, poppy seeds and the 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Using a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle and brush lightly with melted butter. Scoop 1/4-cup mounds of batter into the skillet and spread 3-inch rounds. Cook over moderate heat until the pancakes are golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip each pancake and cook until fluffy and cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer the pancakes to plates and serve with maple syrup.