© Emma Lee
- SERVINGS: makes 1 quart
- 3/4 pound medium okra, stems trimmed
- Six 3-inch-long strips of lemon zest
- 6 oregano sprigs
- 1 dried red chile (optional)
- 1 cup white wine vinegar, plus more if needed
- 1 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- Pack the okra, lemon zest, oregano and chile into a 1-quart heatproof jar.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar with the water, garlic, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat until the sugar dissolves. Ladle the pickling liquid into the jar; if necessary, add more vinegar to cover the okra. Let the pickles cool, then cover with a lid and refrigerate until flavorful, about 3 weeks.