Lemon Granita with Strawberries in Rosemary Syrup
- SERVINGS: 4
Sweet rosemary-scented syrup makes an unusual foil for the tart lemon ice.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 large lemons)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in the lemon juice. Pour the syrup into a 13-by-9-inch metal baking pan and freeze for at least 2 hours, stirring the granita with a fork every 20 minutes to give it a nice, granular consistency.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the water, sugar, rosemary, and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat for 10 minutes. Let cool completely, then strain into a medium bowl. Add the strawberries and let macerate for 1 hour.
- Serve the granita in shallow bowls with the strawberries on the side.