- TOTAL TIME: 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 1 1/4 cups
"When it's made fresh," says Paul Virant, "plain mayonnaise is a great little sauce"a savory complement to grilled chicken, pork or even asparagus. For added punch, Virant suggests adding a quarter cup of finely grated fresh horseradish and up to a half tablespoon of Sriracha chile-garlic sauce to the processor before adding the oil.
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup grapeseed, canola or other neutral vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a food processor, combine the egg, egg yolk, mustard, lemon zest and lemon juice and process until very smooth. With the machine running, add the oil in a very thin stream until it is fully incorporated and the mayonnaise is thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.