Lemon Chicken with Golden Raisins
- SERVINGS: 10
This succulent chicken dish is best made with thin-skinned lemons, which have less bitter white pith than their thick-skinned counterparts. Thin-skinned lemons are smooth and soft; when you give them a light squeeze you should be able to feel the pulp inside.
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 6 medium skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large white onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 small thin-skinned lemons, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- In a small bowl, soak the raisins in 1/2 cup of warm water until softened, about 20 minutes; drain the raisins.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and add the breasts to the skillet. Cook over moderately high heat until golden on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn the breasts and cook until golden, about 4 minutes longer; transfer to a plate. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in the skillet and repeat the process with the thighs.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil in the skillet. Add the onion and sauté over moderately high heat until translucent, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Arrange the thighs in the middle of the skillet and the breasts around the sides. Slip the lemon slices, sautéed onion and raisins between the chicken pieces and sprinkle with the cumin. Pour the chicken stock into the skillet and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. Cover and simmer until the breasts are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the breasts to a large deep platter and cover with foil. Continue simmering the thighs, turning once, until cooked through, about 10 minutes longer. Add to the platter and surround with the lemon slices. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.