- 1 pound medium beets—peeled, halved, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In an 8-inch square nonreactive baking dish, toss the beets with the garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper and spread the beets in a single layer. Spray an 8-inch piece of parchment paper lightly with olive oil cooking spray and set it oiled-side down on the beets. Cover tightly with foil and roast, shaking the pan occasionally, for about 40 minutes, until the beets are tender. Serve the beets warm or hot.
The beets can be prepared up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before serving.
One Serving Calories 217 kcal, Protein 9 gm, Carbohydrate 41 gm, Cholesterol 35 mg, Total Fat 2.6 gm, Saturated Fat .64 gm.