Lemon and Chia Seed Yogurt Cakes
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
These adorable lemon and chia seed cakes are made with creamy Greek yogurt for a rich yet healthy snack.
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Candied Lemon Slices and Syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 lemons, sliced 1/8 inch thick, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line one cupcake pan with 1 dozen cupcake liners. Combine the yogurt, chia seeds, and zest in a small bowl and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat the butter and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract and then add the eggs in one at a time, beating well with each addition. Reduce the speed to low; beat in the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with 2 batches of the chia yogurt mixture.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake liners and smooth the tops of each with an offset spatula. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes. If the tops begin to brown towards the final minutes in baking, tent the cupcake pan loosely with a large strip of tin foil.
- To make the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice together, adjusting with more lemon juice if consistency is too thick. Pour the glaze over the cakes letting it drip down the sides. Let them set, garnish each cupcake with one candied lemon slice and a sprinkling of chia seeds.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE CANDIED LEMON SLICES AND SYRUP In a medium saucepan, combine the granulated sugar and the water and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the lemon slices and simmer gently over medium-low heat for about 8 minutes until slices are moderately opaque, lightly stirring every other minute or so. Turn off the heat and transfer slices to a sheet of waxed paper. Stir in the lemon juice to taste.
- Once the cakes are out of the oven, use a wooden skewer to poke a few holes in the tops and slowly pour the syrup individually over each cupcake. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- MAKE THE GLAZE Combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice together, adjusting with more lemon juice if consistency is too thick. Pour the glaze over the cakes letting it drip down the sides. Let them set, garnish each cupcake with one candied lemon slice and a sprinkling of chia seeds.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.