Leeks Vinaigrette with Fried Eggs and Smoked Prosciutto
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
When Paul Kahan develops recipes, he starts with something traditional—like leeks vinaigrette, the time-honored French dish—then adds a twist. Here he substitutes fried eggs for the standard hard-boiled-egg topping and adds crisp strips of speck, a smoked prosciutto.
- 8 medium leeks (4 pounds), white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices (1/2 pound) of speck (See Note)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Prepare a large bowl of ice water. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the leeks, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the leeks to the ice water to cool. Drain well, then transfer the leeks to paper towels to dry, cut side down.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar with the shallot, mustard and tarragon. Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Working in batches, fry the speck over moderately high heat, turning once, until crisp around the edges, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Add the butter to the skillet and reduce the heat to moderate. Crack 2 eggs into the skillet and fry, basting the eggs with fat, until the whites are set and the yolks are still slightly runny, about 3 minutes. Transfer the fried eggs to a plate. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Season the fried eggs with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, coat the leeks with the vinaigrette, keeping them intact. Arrange the leeks on a platter or on individual plates and top with the speck and fried eggs. Drizzle any remaining vinaigrette on top, sprinkle with the chives and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.