- 2 pounds white fish fillets, such as cod or grouper, about 1 inch thick
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (7 ounces)—picked over, rinsed, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 medium artichokes
- 1/2 lemon
- 8 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 1 1/2 pounds medium beets, boiled and peeled (see Note)
- 1 1/2 pounds medium carrots, peeled and boiled
- 8 boiled medium yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as Yellow Finn or Yukon Gold
- 1 cauliflower, cut into large florets and boiled
- 1 pound green beans, boiled and refreshed in cold water
- Aromatic Snails
- Classic Aioli or Aioli-Style Mayonnaise
How to make this recipe
- Sprinkle the fish fillets on both sides with 2 tablespoons of sea salt. Arrange the fish on a wire rack set over a pan to catch any juices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, rinse the fish thoroughly. Bring a large deep skillet of water to a simmer. Add the fish and poach it gently over low heat until just cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer the fish to a large platter and pat dry.
- In a saucepan, combine the chickpeas with the bay leaves and garlic. Add water to cover and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover and cook gently until the chickpeas are tender, 1 to 2 hours, adding more water if necessary. Drain and discard the bay leaves and garlic.
- Trim the stems from the artichokes and snap off the tough leaves. Cut off the top third of each artichoke and rub the artichokes all over with the lemon. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, simmer the artichokes over moderate heat until the bottoms are tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes. Drain the artichokes and, when cool enough to handle, pull out the inner leaves. Using a teaspoon, scrape out the hairy chokes. Quarter the artichokes.
- To serve, arrange the fish, eggs, vegetables and snails on platters and put the chickpeas and aioli in bowls.
The vegetables, eggs and chickpeas can be refrigerated overnight. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Here's a guide for cooking the vegetables until tender: boil the beets for 30 minutes, carrots and potatoes for 20 minutes, cauliflower for 8 minutes and green beans for 4 minutes.