- 5 quarts water
- 5 pounds chicken legs or wings
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 1 unpeeled head of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Cook gently for 1 1/2 hours, skimming occasionally. Strain, then boil to reduce to 10 cups if necessary.
Make AheadThe stock can be cooled and then refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
NotesOne Cup Calories 36 kcal, Total Fat 1.5 gm, Saturated Fat .8 gm.