- 1 quart water
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for buttering
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Shredded Fontina or Gruyère cheese
- Chopped parsley
How to make this recipe
- Butter a 3 1/2-cup soufflé dish.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Slowly whisk in the polenta. Cover and cook over low heat, whisking often, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour 1/3 of the hot polenta into the dish. Scatter half of the shredded Fontina or Gruyère cheese over, then pour in another 1/3 of the hot polenta and top with remaining cheese. Pour over remaining hot polenta and let stand a few mintutes, until the cheese is melted. Top with parsley, cut into wedges and serve right away.