- One 5 1/2-pound butterflied leg of lamb, trimmed
- 4 anchovy fillets, cut crosswise into 24 pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, each cut into 6 slices and halved lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons minced rosemary
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender (see Note)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Using a small, sharp knife, make 24 incisions all over the lamb. Stuff each incision with a piece of anchovy and garlic and a pinch of the rosemary. In a roasting pan, combine the 1/4 cup of olive oil with the wine and lavender. Add the lamb and coat well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Light a grill. Bring the lamb to room temperature and season with salt and pepper. Grill the lamb over a moderately low fire for about 40 minutes, or until lightly charred and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 125° for medium rare. Transfer the lamb to a carving board, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before thinly slicing it. Serve with lemon wedges and additional olive oil.
Dried lavender is available from Dean & DeLuca, 800-221-7714.
Roasted tomato halves.
A Bordeaux-style red with subtle tannins will enhance the earthiness of the lamb without overpowering it.