- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a small dry skillet, toast the cumin and coriander seeds over moderately low heat, shaking the pan, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar, add the remaining ingredients and grind to a fine powder.
The spice rub will keep at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Skirt steak, pork, chicken legs, any oily fish: marinate just before grilling.