- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 whole chicken legs (about 4 1/2 pounds)—excess fat trimmed, skin scored
- 1 pound Savoy cabbage, finely shredded (8 cups)
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 16 large Boston lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon each of salt and pepper with the chile powder, oregano, garlic, orange juice and 2 tablespoons each of the lime juice and olive oil. Put the chicken legs on a large rimmed baking sheet and coat all over with the spiced oil. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup each of lime juice and olive oil. Add the cabbage, onion, jalapeños and cilantro. Season the slaw with salt and pepper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 5 hours, tossing occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Roast the chicken legs skin side up for about 40 minutes, until browned and cooked through. When cool enough to handle, discard the skin and bones and shred the chicken.
- Arrange the lettuce on a platter and fill with the chicken; top with the slaw and serve.
Vibrant, citrusy New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.