Laquered Tofu with Green Beans
- SERVINGS: 4
The recipe below is adapted from This Can't Be Tofu! by Deborah Madison, published by Broadway Books.
- 1 pound firm tofu, drained
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup stock
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon mushroom soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons roasted peanut oil
- 1/4 pound green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 5 scallions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted Szechwan peppercorns
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews
- Cut the tofu and red pepper into 1 1/2-inch triangles. In a bowl, mix the stock, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and mushroom soy. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the tofu and cook, turning once, until golden; transfer to a plate. Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the pan; add the beans and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper and scallions and stir-fry until just tender. Add the tofu and Szechwan peppercorns; season with salt. Pour in the sauce and stir gently until the vegetables and tofu are evenly coated. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with the cashews.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.