Laotian Bean-and-Tomato Salad
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
A mix of crisp charred haricots verts and blanched green and yellow wax beans, as well as juicy cherry tomatoes, gives this salad terrific texture. The spicy dressing includes roasted garlic and, less conventionally, roasted ginger (roasting mellows out the flavor).
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- One 1-inch piece of unpeeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 small Thai chiles, stemmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 pound green and yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 1 pound haricots verts, trimmed
- 2 cups mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Brush the cut sides of the garlic with oil and season with salt. Wrap the garlic in foil, cut side up, and roast for about 1 hour, until very soft. Let cool, then squeeze the garlic cloves from the skins into a blender.
- Meanwhile, roast the ginger directly over an open flame until charred all over and slightly softened, 7 minutes. Peel and chop the ginger. Add to the blender along with the fish sauce, soy sauce, chiles, sugar and 2 tablespoons of water and puree until smooth. Season the dressing with salt.
- In a saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the beans until crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Drain and cool under running water. Drain again and pat dry, then transfer to a large bowl.
- In a very large wok or skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil. Spread the haricots verts in the wok in a single layer and season well with salt. Cook over high heat until the beans are charred on the bottom and crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the haricots verts to the beans, then add the tomatoes and one-third of the dressing; toss well. Season the salad with salt and serve with the remaining dressing.