Lampe's Chicken Wings with Sweet-and-Spicy Pantry Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
Ray Lampe is a national barbecue champion, a teacher and the owner of a roadside barbecue stand in Lakeland, Florida. His first book, Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook, gives advice on how to bump up the flavors in grilled dishes, as in his sweet and sticky chicken wings (slash the inside of the joints so they cook through and the seasonings penetrate).
Plus: More Chicken Recipes and Tips
- 16 chicken wings, with the two joints attached, tips removed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Make a slash on the inside of the chicken wing joints without cutting through the bone and in a few other places. In a large, shallow baking dish, combine the ketchup with the mustard, hot sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar. Add the chicken wings and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Light a grill. Remove the chicken wings from the marinade (pantry sauce), leaving some of it on them, and reserve the remaining marinade. Grill the wings over a medium-hot fire, turning and basting them with the reserved marinade, until nicely charred and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Stop basting during the last 5 minutes of grilling and discard any remaining marinade. Serve the wings hot or at room temperature.
Beer Nothing's better with a platter of spicy wingsBuffalo or notthan beer. Reach for a malty, flavorful ale like Old Speckled Hen.