- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 pound boneless trimmed lamb loin, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons crème fraîche or heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- Cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
How to make this recipe
- In a blender or mini-processor, combine the vegetable oil, onion, wine, rosemary, garlic and Dijon mustard and blend until smooth. Transfer the marinade to a resealable plastic bag, add the lamb and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine the whole-grain mustard, crème fraîche, honey and a pinch each of cayenne and black pepper; whisk until smooth.
- Remove the lamb from the bag and scrape off the marinade. Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Season the lamb with salt and black pepper, add it to the skillet and cook over high heat until browned, about 3 minutes on each side for medium rare. Transfer the lamb to a cutting board, cover with foil and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice the lamb, fold the pieces and spear them on wooden picks. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately with the mustard dipping sauce.