Lamb Rogan Josh
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- One 14-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Basmati rice and warm naan, for serving
- In a large, enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Season the lamb with salt and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the lamb is browned, about 12 minutes; using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions to the casserole and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, 4 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, curry, turmeric, cayenne and bay leaves and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato, yogurt and water; bring to a boil. Season with salt.
- Return the lamb and any juices to the casserole. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the lamb is very tender, 1 hour. Stir in the garam masala; cook for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice and naan.
A Sicilian Nerello Mascalese or juicy Sicilian red blend.