Lamb Kebabs with Cool Cucumber Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Katy Sparks coats her lamb kebabs with a garlicky, salty cumin rub. Leg of lamb is ideal here because it stays juicy and tender during grilling without shredding or falling apart. If you are really short on time, you can skip cutting and skewering the meat and grill the whole steaks for 2 minutes longer.
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless leg of lamb steaks, 1 inch thick, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 European seedless cucumber, peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a large bowl, combine the cumin, garlic and olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper, then add the lamb and turn to coat. Thread the lamb onto 8 skewers. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, working over a medium bowl, grate the cucumber on the large holes of a box grater, stopping when you get to the seedy center. Stir the yogurt into the grated cucumber. Transfer the mixture to a strainer lined with a coffee filter or paper towel and let drain for 10 minutes. Transfer the cucumber salad to a serving bowl.
- Grill the lamb kebabs over moderately high heat until charred and medium rare, about 7 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes, then serve with the cucumber salad.