Lamb Cutlets with Romesco
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Jose Garces butchers the lamb rack, then pounds the steaks superthin. Next he rolls them around a filling made with whipped goat cheese, crème fraîche and herbs and serves the finished meat rolls with homemade romesco sauce (a classic Spanish blend of tomatoes, almonds and roasted red peppers).
Easy Way Pound the lamb steaks slightly, then bread and pan-fry them until crisp. Top the meat with a tangy romesco sauce and a sprinkling of goat cheese and fresh herbs.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless lamb leg steaks, cut 1/2 inch thick and lightly pounded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup salted roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for frying
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Put the flour, eggs and panko in 3 shallow bowls; season each with salt and pepper. Dredge the lamb in the flour, then dip in the eggs and coat with panko. Transfer the lamb to a plate.
- In a blender, combine the tomato, roasted pepper, garlic, almonds, vinegar and sugar and process until smooth. With the machine on, add the 1/4 cup of olive oil in a thin stream and blend until creamy. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of olive oil until shimmering. Add the breaded lamb cutlets and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and transfer to plates. Spoon some of the romesco sauce over the lamb and garnish with the goat cheese, chives and parsley. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.
Ripe, blackberry-rich Garnacha.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.