- 1 1/2 pounds boneless lamb leg steaks, cut 1/2 inch thick and lightly pounded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup salted roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for frying
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Put the flour, eggs and panko in 3 shallow bowls; season each with salt and pepper. Dredge the lamb in the flour, then dip in the eggs and coat with panko. Transfer the lamb to a plate.
- In a blender, combine the tomato, roasted pepper, garlic, almonds, vinegar and sugar and process until smooth. With the machine on, add the 1/4 cup of olive oil in a thin stream and blend until creamy. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of olive oil until shimmering. Add the breaded lamb cutlets and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and transfer to plates. Spoon some of the romesco sauce over the lamb and garnish with the goat cheese, chives and parsley. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.
Ripe, blackberry-rich Garnacha.