- 1 1/2 pounds boneless lamb leg steaks, cut 1/2 inch thick and lightly pounded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup salted roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for frying
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Put the flour, eggs and <em>panko</em> in 3 shallow bowls; season each with salt and pepper. Dredge the lamb in the flour, then dip in the eggs and coat with <em>panko</em>. Transfer the lamb to a plate.
In a blender, combine the tomato, roasted pepper, garlic, almonds, vinegar and sugar and process until smooth. With the machine on, add the 1/4 cup of olive oil in a thin stream and blend until creamy. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of olive oil until shimmering. Add the breaded lamb cutlets and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and transfer to plates. Spoon some of the <em>romesco</em> sauce over the lamb and garnish with the goat cheese, chives and parsley. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.
Ripe, blackberry-rich Garnacha.