Lamb Chops with Vinaigrette
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Michael Psilakis says, "Everything in this recipe is Greek but you just might not realize it." The lamb, almonds, lemon and onion show up on tables all over Greece, and the bulgur is ubiquitous on the Greek island of Crete.
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup medium-grind cracked bulgur wheat
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Greek oregano
- 2 teaspoons roasted garlic paste from a tube (see Note)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 8 lamb loin chops (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 4 ounces prewashed baby arugula (5 cups)
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the bulgur and stir to coat. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer over low heat until the stock is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the lemon juice with the mustard, oregano and roasted garlic and puree until smooth. With the machine on, slowly pour in 1/2 cup of the olive oil. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- In a very large skillet, toast the almonds over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering. Season the lamb chops generously with salt and pepper, add them to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, about 6 minutes total for medium-rare meat.
- Stir 1/3 cup of the vinaigrette into the bulgur. Add the toasted almonds and season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, toss the arugula with 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Spoon the bulgur onto plates and top with the chops. Mound the arugula alongside and serve, passing the remaining vinaigrette at the table.
Berry-rich, lush Agiorgitiko.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.