- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 7-ounce lamb loin chops, 1 1/4 inches thick, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a blender or food processor, combine the cilantro, garlic, cumin, cayenne and lemon juice with 1/2 teaspoon of the lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and process to a paste. Spread all but 1 tablespoon of the seasoning paste over the lamb chops and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir in the couscous, cover and remove from the heat; let stand until all the water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Transfer the couscous to a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Stir in the mint, pistachios, half of the pomegranate seeds and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium ovenproof skillet. Scrape off the seasoning paste on the lamb chops. Add the chops to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast for 6 minutes for medium-rare meat. Transfer the lamb to a plate and pour off the fat in the skillet.
- Set the skillet over moderate heat and add the pomegranate juice and the reserved 1 tablespoon of the seasoning paste. Cook, scraping up any bits stuck to the pan. Simmer over moderate heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 2 minutes.
- Mound the couscous on plates and top with the lamb chops. Spoon the sauce on the meat, sprinkle with the remaining pomegranate seeds and serve.
One Serving 485 cal, 18 gm total fat, 4.8 gm saturated fat, 44 gm carb, 4 gm fiber.
Powerful, rich red blend.