Lamb Burgers with Green Harissa
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 cup cooked white rice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 4 hot green chiles, such as serranos or jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 2 mild green chiles, such as Anaheim or yellow wax chiles, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- Warm naan, chopped tomatoes and feta, for serving
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a medium bowl, combine the ground lamb with the cooked rice, egg and 1/4 cup of the cilantro. Add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper and gently knead the meat to blend. Using lightly moistened hands, form the meat into 12 patties, about 1/2 inch thick. Brush the patties with olive oil.
- Grill the patties over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the hot and mild chiles with the scallions, garlic and the remaining 1/4 cup of cilantro and pulse until chopped. Add the 1/4 cup of olive oil and process to a chunky puree. Season the harissa with salt. Wrap the lamb in the warm naan with tomatoes and feta. Spoon some of the green harissa on top and serve.
Lively, herb-scented red Côtes du Rhône.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.