Lamb Burgers with Cilantro-Yogurt Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This spicy burger, served with a cooling yogurt sauce, is Suvir Saran's take on lamb vindaloo, the classic Indian dish. His new Manhattan restaurant is Devi.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small red onion, 1/2 minced and 1/2 thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 6 medium scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup minced mint leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber—peeled, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 6 hard rolls, split and lightly toasted
- In a food processor, combine 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice with half of the minced jalapeños, the cilantro leaves, ginger, sugar, minced onion and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Process until pureed. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate.
- Light a grill. In a large bowl, combine the ground lamb with the remaining minced jalapeños, the scallions, mint, cheese, lemon zest and 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and the cayenne and mix gently with your hands. Pat the meat into 6 burgers.
- In a medium bowl, toss the tomato, cucumber and sliced onion with the remaining 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the burgers over a hot fire until nicely charred on the outside and pink within, about 4 minutes per side. Fold the yogurt into the cilantro puree. Spread some of the yogurt sauce on the bottom half of each roll; top each with a burger, another dollop of yogurt sauce and some of the tomato-cucumber salad. Close the sandwiches and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.