- 3 quarts water
- 2 pounds tomatoes, coarsely chopped, or one 28-ounce can peeled Italian plum tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 large Spanish onion, coarsely grated
- 1 pound well-trimmed boneless lamb leg, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- One 19-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown or green lentils (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup rice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a large, heavy pot, combine the water, tomatoes, onion, lamb, chickpeas, lentils, olive oil, tomato paste and cumin and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the tomato paste. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the rice and simmer for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup of the soup into the flour, then whisk the slurry into the soup and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes longer. Stir in the parsley and cilantro, season the soup with salt and pepper and serve.
The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Warm pita bread.