- 1 1/2 cups dried navy beans, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 dried lime, pierced in several places
- Feta, bread and fresh herbs and greens, such as parsley, watercress and scallions, for serving
How to make this recipe
Drain the beans. In a large saucepan, cover the beans with water and bring to a boil. Simmer gently until tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Off the heat, add a generous pinch of salt and let stand for 5 minutes, then drain.
Heat the oil in the saucepan. Add the cumin and turmeric and stir for 1 minute. Add the beans, tomatoes, dried lime and 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover partially and simmer for 25 minutes. Discard the lime and season the beans with salt. Serve with feta, bread and fresh herbs and greens.