Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Espresso Whipped Cream
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
"This recipe was created over a breakfast of what else?Krispy Kremes," says Armstrong. "I was planning the menu for RokBar in Hollywood and trying to come up with a fun, creative dessert." The espresso-infused whipped cream makes a brilliant, and equally decadent, topping.
- 1 1/2 dozen glazed doughnuts, cut into sixths
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 10 large egg yolks
- 2 large whole eggs
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup brewed espresso, chilled
- Preheat the oven to 250°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread the doughnut pieces on baking sheets and bake for about 30 minutes, until dry on the outside and semifirm in the center. Raise the oven temperature to 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk 2 cups of the cream with the milk, egg yolks, whole eggs and condensed milk. Add the doughnut pieces and let soak until the pieces are softened, about 1 hour; stir every 15 minutes.
- Lightly butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spoon the doughnut mixture into the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Set the dish in a roasting pan and add enough water to the pan to reach halfway up the side of the baking dish. Bake the bread pudding for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until the bread pudding is set.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the bread pudding for about 3 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whip the remaining 2 cups of cream to semisoft peaks. Stir in the espresso. Serve with the warm bread pudding.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.