Korean Sizzling Beef
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN Plus 4 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 8
This succulent recipe is based on bulgogi, a classic Korean dish of sliced beef that's marinated in soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and garlic, then grilled. In this version, a bit of crushed red pepper is added to the marinade for heat.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- One 2 1/2-pound beef flank steak, cut across the grain into twenty 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 16 scallions
- Vegetable oil, for rubbing
- Steamed rice, for serving
- In a large, shallow dish, combine the soy sauce with the sugar, white wine, chopped garlic, toasted sesame oil and crushed red pepper, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the sliced flank steak and coat thoroughly in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate the steak for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Light a grill or heat a griddle. Rub the scallions all over with vegetable oil and grill them over high heat, turning once, until the scallions are just softened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Working in batches, grill the steak over high heat until the slices are richly browned and medium-rare, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer the steak to a serving platter and serve with the grilled scallions and steamed rice.
Serve this with a structured, cassis-rich, tannic Bordeaux.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.