- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornstarch
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 1/4 cups fish stock or 1 cup clam juice mixed with 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 pound calamari, bodies cut into 1/2-inch rings and tentacles halved
- 1 pound shelled and deveined shrimp, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups scallions in 2-inch lengths
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon gochugaru (red pepper flakes)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/4 cups canola oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
- Make the pancakes In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch, water, fish stock, egg yolk and salt until smooth. Stir in the seafood, scallions and onion. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Make the dipping sauce Combine all of the ingredients except the canola oil in a bowl.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the oil. Add one-fourth of the batter and spread in an even layer. Cook over moderate heat until deep golden on the bottom, 8 minutes. Flip the pancake, drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil around the edge and cook over moderately low heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter. Serve hot, with the dipping sauce.