- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs—lightly pounded, skin reserved
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, diced
- 2 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely diced pickled daikon (see Note) or fresh daikon
- 3/4 cup kimchi, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cups cooked sushi rice
- 3 sheets of plain nori (see Note), cut into quarters with scissors
- 12 mini sheets of seasoned roasted nori (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- Toasted sesame seeds
- In a bowl, toss the chicken, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin and 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, cover the chicken skin with water and simmer for 15 minutes; drain and pat dry. Arrange the skin on a parchment paperlined baking sheet and roast until golden and crisp, 30 minutes; drain on paper towels. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Discard the parchment.
- Preheat the broiler. Drain the chicken and arrange on the baking sheet. Broil, turning once, until lightly charred, about 6 minutes. Cut the chicken into 1/4-inch pieces.
- In a bowl, toss the tomatoes, scallions, daikon and 1/4 cup of the kimchi; season with salt. In a small bowl, whisk the Tabasco, mayonnaise and remaining 1/2 cup of kimchi; season with salt. In a medium bowl, toss the rice with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
- Top each plain nori square with a seasoned nori sheet. Spoon on the rice, flattening slightly, and drizzle with the teriyaki. Top with the kimchi mayonnaise, chicken, sesame seeds, cracklings and kimchi salsa. Serve.
Pickled daikon and nori are available at Asian markets. Seasoned nori is available at markets like Trader Joe's.