Korean Chicken Tacos
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS Plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: Makes 12 mini tacos
Kerry Black's goal at Outside Lands music festival is for the food and wine to be as big a draw as the music. One of the highlights: these tacos.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighslightly pounded, skin reserved
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, diced
- 2 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely diced pickled daikon (see Note) or fresh daikon
- 3/4 cup kimchi, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cups cooked sushi rice
- 3 sheets of plain nori (see Note), cut into quarters with scissors
- 12 mini sheets of seasoned roasted nori (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- Toasted sesame seeds
- In a bowl, toss the chicken, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin and 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, cover the chicken skin with water and simmer for 15 minutes; drain and pat dry. Arrange the skin on a parchment paperlined baking sheet and roast until golden and crisp, 30 minutes; drain on paper towels. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Discard the parchment.
- Preheat the broiler. Drain the chicken and arrange on the baking sheet. Broil, turning once, until lightly charred, about 6 minutes. Cut the chicken into 1/4-inch pieces.
- In a bowl, toss the tomatoes, scallions, daikon and 1/4 cup of the kimchi; season with salt. In a small bowl, whisk the Tabasco, mayonnaise and remaining 1/2 cup of kimchi; season with salt. In a medium bowl, toss the rice with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
- Top each plain nori square with a seasoned nori sheet. Spoon on the rice, flattening slightly, and drizzle with the teriyaki. Top with the kimchi mayonnaise, chicken, sesame seeds, cracklings and kimchi salsa. Serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.