- 5 pounds flanken-style beef ribs, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1/3 cup sake
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 7 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 scallions, white and tender green, minced
- 3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a large glass or ceramic baking dish, rub the ribs all over with the sake and granulated sugar. Cover and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, garlic, scallions, brown sugar and sesame oil. Add the water and stir until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the vegetable oil and pepper. Pour this marinade over the ribs and turn to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let the ribs return to room temperature before cooking.
Preheat the broiler. Broil the ribs about 3 inches from the heat until browned, about 6 minutes on each side. Serve the ribs as is, or cut them between the bones for smaller pieces.