- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Korean rice wine or mirin (see Note)
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Sesame Salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 small Asian pear, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground Korean red chile (gocho karu see Note)
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds meaty flanken-style short ribs (see Note)
- 1 head red-leaf lettuce, separated into leaves
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Sesame Salt
- Scallion Salad
- Korean Chili Sauce
How to make this recipe
Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor and puree; transfer to a bowl. Add the ribs and let marinate at room temperature for at least 3 hours or refrigerate overnight.
Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Remove the ribs from the marinade and shake off any excess. Grill or broil the ribs until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Serve the short ribs with the accompaniments and let diners wrap their own meat.
These ingredients are available at Korean markets. Kalbi is available pre-cut at Korean markets, both on and off the bone. Flanken-style, or L.A. cut, short ribs are sliced 1/2 inch thick across 3 ribs.