- 1/2 small onion, halved
- 1/2 Asian pear, cored and quartered
- 1 small kiwi, peeled and quartered
- 8 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Six 6-ounce portobello mushrooms, stemmed and gills scraped
How to make this recipe
- In a blender, combine the onion, Asian pear, kiwi, garlic, ginger, both sugars, sesame oil, soy sauce and water and puree until smooth.
- Arrange the mushroom caps in a shallow baking dish and pour the marinade on top. Turn the mushrooms to coat them completely with the marinade. Let the mushrooms stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Light a grill. Lift the mushrooms from the marinade, shaking off the excess. Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until tender, about 12 minutes.
The marinade can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Variation The marinade is great for thinly sliced flanken-style short ribs or steak.
Steamed rice, lettuce leaves and kimchi.
Fresh, peppery Côtes-du-Rhône.