- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds kohlrabi, peeled and very thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 2 ounces semifirm goat cheese, such as Evalon, Garrotxa or Manchester, shaved (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup blueberries or pitted, halved sweet cherries
- 2 tablespoons torn mint leaves
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds on a pie plate and toast for about 7 minutes, until golden. Let cool.
- In a mini food processor or blender, combine the ginger, shallot, vinegar, mayonnaise, mustard, soy sauce and maple syrup and puree. With the blender on, add the grapeseed oil in a thin stream and blend until creamy. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the kohlrabi with the fennel, cheese, toasted almonds and dressing. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Add the blueberries and mint and toss gently. Serve right away.
The ingredients in this vegetable salad are all strong-flavored. The most versatile wine partner is a substantial but lively white such as Viognier.