© Cedric Angeles
Kiwi, Banana and Passion Fruit Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
- 6 large, ripe passion fruit, halved (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- One 3-pound pineapple—peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ripe kiwis, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 3 medium bananas, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 15 pitted prunes, halved
- Set a fine sieve over a small saucepan. Working over the sieve, scoop the seedy pulp from 5 of the passion fruits. Press on the solids to extract as much juice as possible. Add the sugar to the juice in the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, about 2 minutes. Transfer the passion fruit syrup to a medium bowl and stir in the lemon juice. Let cool. Scoop out the seedy pulp from the remaining passion fruit into the syrup and stir.
- In a bowl, toss the pineapple with the kiwis, bananas and prunes. Add the passion fruit syrup, toss well and serve right away.
Make AheadThe passion fruit syrup can be refrigerated overnight.
NotesPassion fruit's skin wrinkles when the fruit is ripe; the more wrinkles it has, the riper and sweeter it is.
Serve WithToasted-Coconut Custard Tart.