- 2 small Hass avocados—1 cut into 1/2-inch dice, 1 cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound king crab in the shell or 6 ounces lump crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- In a shallow bowl, coarsely mash the diced avocado with a fork. Add the heavy cream and lemon juice and mash the mixture just until combined. Stir in the chopped cilantro and season generously with salt and pepper.
- With kitchen scissors, cut the crab leg shells and pull out the crabmeat. Cut the crabmeat crosswise into 1-inch pieces and shred the crab. In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk and ginger. Fold in the crab and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the crab and avocado into 8 small glasses. Top each shooter with an avocado wedge and serve.
The shelled crabmeat can be refrigerated overnight.
The Huneeus family pairs these crab and avocado shooters with a zesty Sauvignon Blanc, made from grapes grown in the ocean breeze-cooled Casablanca Valleyarguably Chile's premier Sauvignon Blanc region.