- 2 small Hass avocados—1 cut into 1/2-inch dice, 1 cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound king crab in the shell or 6 ounces lump crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
How to make this recipe
In a shallow bowl, coarsely mash the diced avocado with a fork. Add the heavy cream and lemon juice and mash the mixture just until combined. Stir in the chopped cilantro and season generously with salt and pepper.
With kitchen scissors, cut the crab leg shells and pull out the crabmeat. Cut the crabmeat crosswise into 1-inch pieces and shred the crab. In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk and ginger. Fold in the crab and season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the crab and avocado into 8 small glasses. Top each shooter with an avocado wedge and serve.
The shelled crabmeat can be refrigerated overnight.
The Huneeus family pairs these crab and avocado shooters with a zesty Sauvignon Blanc, made from grapes grown in the ocean breeze-cooled Casablanca Valleyarguably Chile's premier Sauvignon Blanc region.