- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons black vinegar
- 2 teaspoons jarred kimchi liquid
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons jarred kimchi liquid
- 1 teaspoon black bean sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped drained kimchi
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths (1/2 cup)
- Make the Dipping Sauce In a bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon of warm water with the sugar until dissolved; whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Make the Pancakes In a large bowl, whisk 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of water with the kimchi liquid, black bean sauce, salt and 1 teaspoon of the canola oil. Add the flour and stir just until a batter forms. Fold in the kimchi and scallions.
- Make the Pancakes In a nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Scrape the batter into the skillet and gently spread it into a round. Cook over moderately high heat until golden brown and crisp on the bottom, 4 minutes. Carefully flip the pancake; cook over moderate heat until crisp and cooked through, 3 minutes longer. Transfer the pancake to a paper towel–lined plate to drain; serve with the soy-sesame dipping sauce.
Green-appley Spanish sparkling wine.