- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped napa kimchi
- Two 28-oz. cans whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- Pinch of sugar
- 3 basil sprigs
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion, garlic and kimchi and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 8 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a food processor and add the tomatoes; puree until smooth.
- In the saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add the tomato paste and sugar and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato mixture and basil, cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Season with salt.
The marinara can be refrigerated for 2 weeks.
Contributed By Kay Chun Photo © Kay Chun