- 1 cup raw long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- One-inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 16 ounces kimchi, plus additional kimchi to serve on the side
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In large pot add stock, rice, salt and ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Stir occasionally so that the rice doesn't clump or stick at the bottom.
- Simmer the congee for about 1 hour or until the congee is thickened and creamy. Stir in the 16 ounces of kimchi and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve the congee hot with additional sides of kimchi and garnished with cilantro.
As the congee cools, it will become thicker. Add additional stock or water if necessary to make the congee to your desired thickness.