- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Spice up a simple batch of congee with flavorful kimchi. The salt and spice of kimchi is a great Korean addition to Chinese congee.
- 1 cup raw long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- One-inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 16 ounces kimchi, plus additional kimchi to serve on the side
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In large pot add stock, rice, salt and ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Stir occasionally so that the rice doesn't clump or stick at the bottom.
- Simmer the congee for about 1 hour or until the congee is thickened and creamy. Stir in the 16 ounces of kimchi and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve the congee hot with additional sides of kimchi and garnished with cilantro.