- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 ounces smoked kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice (see Note)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
How to make this recipe
- In a nonstick wok or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil. Add the kielbasa and stir-fry over high heat until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the wok along with the onion, carrots and white scallions and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rice and all but 1 tablespoon of the scallion greens, and stir-fry until the rice is heated through and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Push the fried rice to the side of the pan to create a well. Pour the eggs into the well and cook, stirring gently, until nearly set. Return the kielbasa to the skillet and toss with the eggs and fried rice, cooking for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the soy sauce. Transfer the fried rice to bowls, garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of scallion greens and serve.
To cook the rice, in a medium saucepan combine 1 1/2 cups raw rice with 3 cups of water and a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Use the rice right away or refrigerate.