- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons finely julienned peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 12 fresh curry leaves or 2 bay leaves
- 2 serrano chiles, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock or broth
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat the canola oil. Add the ginger, garlic, curry leaves, chopped chiles, turmeric, 1 1/2 teaspoons of black pepper and 1/2 cup of the pearl onions. Season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the potato cubes, diced carrots, green beans, vegetable stock and the remaining 1/2 cup of pearl onions and bring to a boil. Add the coconut milk and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender and the coconut milk is slightly reduced, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Discard the bay leaves, if using, and serve.
The vegetable stew can be refrigerated overnight.
Fragrant, medium-bodied Spanish white.