- SERVINGS: 4
Adding the distinctive mustard seed, curry leaf and dried red chile seasoning at the end gives this vegetable curry the stamp of Kerala.
- 1/2 cup thoor dhal or yellow split peas (3 1/2 ounces), rinsed in several changes of water
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
- 1/4 pound okra, trimmed
- 1 medium boiling potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 -inch dice
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 serrano or Thai chile, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon tamarind concentrate, dissolved in 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves or 2 bay leaves
- 1 dried red chile
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, combine the dhal with 1 1/4 cups of water and 1/8 teaspoon of the turmeric and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until soft, about 30 minutes (45 minutes for yellow split peas). Partially mash the dhal with a potato masher.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the fenugreek and asafetida and cook over moderately high heat until fragrant and lightly colored, about 1 minute. Add the okra, potato, tomato, onion, cilantro, serrano chile, coriander, salt, cumin, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric, dissolved tamarind, cayenne and black pepper along with the remaining 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 18 minutes. Add the mashed dhal and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and dried red chile. Cover and cook over moderately high heat until the mustard seeds have popped for a few seconds, then stir into the vegetable and dhal mixture. Add the lemon juice and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.