- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Few dashes of hot sauce
- Kosher salt
- 16 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 2 tomatoes, cut into eight 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Kosher salt
- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices of day-old white sandwich bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 pounds roast turkey breast, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Chopped chives and chopped parsley, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Make the sauce In a small saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk over moderate heat for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the hot milk and bring to a boil. Cook, whisking, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in both cheeses until melted. Stir in the nutmeg and hot sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Make the sandwiches Preheat the oven to 425°. Arrange the bacon on a rack set over a baking sheet. Cook until golden and crisp, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Arrange the tomato slices on a baking sheet, drizzle with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil 6 inches from the heat until lightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side; keep warm.
- Arrange the bread on a foil-lined baking sheet and spread each slice with 1/2 tablespoon of the butter; season with salt and pepper. Broil until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Flip the bread and toast for 1 minute. Top each toast with some turkey and a slice of tomato. Spoon the sauce on top and sprinkle on both cheeses. Broil until the cheese is melted and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the sandwiches to plates and top with the bacon. Garnish with chopped chives and parsley and serve hot.
The sauce can be refrigerated overnight and rewarmed before using.
WINE: Juicy, vibrant Barbera d'Alba.