- 1 pound extra-sharp cheddar, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup dark beer
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Toasted baguette slices from 2 baguettes
- Sliced tomatoes
How to make this recipe
- In a food processor, combine the cheddar with the beer, garlic, mustard and cayenne and blend until smooth. Season the beer cheese with salt.
- Preheat the broiler. Spread the toasts with the beer cheese and arrange them on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil the toasts 6 inches from the heat for about 2 minutes, rotating the pan, until the cheese is bubbling and browned around the edges. Top with tomato slices and serve.
Dark beer would be more appropriate with this down-home dish, but Huffman is just as happy with a Kendall-Jackson Riesling, whose zippy acidity is a good complement to sharp cheese.